Thursday, April 2, 2009

Keri Mikulski Tackles the D-Word



Wow, Lauren! This blog is amazing and so thoughtful! Thanks so much for asking me to join the party. J I’m psyched to read WILLOW. I’ve heard nothing but fabulous things about the book. Congrats and kudos to Julia!

Although, I haven’t read WILLOW yet, from reading reviews and raves, I’ve heard Julia does an amazing job of writing about death.

Death. This particular five-letter word can wreck havoc on my life, my psyche, and my soul, like nothing else. I consider myself pretty upbeat, but death cuts deep every time and although I don’t discuss it publicly, death has visited my family a little too often lately.

Another time in my life death wrecked havoc was my first brush with the dreaded subject about twenty-two years ago. My dad sat hunched on his brown Lazy boy chair after a trip to the hospital. His eyes were bloodshot and blank and he held my small hand as I sat on the armrest. Then, he broke the news that my beloved Aunt Suzanne died of a heart attack earlier that morning.

Everyone has one. A favorite relative. Whether it’s an aunt, uncle, grandmother, grandfather, or even a distant cousin. Aunt Suzanne was mine. I absolutely and positively adored her.

At first, it didn’t register. Dead? Like my mom’s distant relative who died last month and was sick for years? But, I hung out with her two days ago and she was joking and smiling and young and laughing like always. Not sick.

Then, I stiffened when I realized I never said goodbye. The last time I saw her, I left her house like a typical Saturday, climbed into the backseat of my dad’s 1987 black Cougar while she lovingly smacked my back and I laughed, but one thing was different. I never kissed her goodbye. With this revelation, my body instantly filled with remorse, guilt, and dread. I always kissed her goodbye. And the last time, the most important time, I didn’t.

Like Amanda, death fueled my writing. A few weeks later, my mom suggested I write down every single Aunt Suzanne memory I could remember. I did. I wrote and wrote and wrote and kept writing until my hand throbbed. And I’m still writing today. In fact, I recently sent a WIP entitled PINKED to my agent. There’s a spunky, fun, joking, laughing, goofy aunt character in PINKED. Guess who? I might not be able to bring Aunt Suzanne back, but she’ll always live on in my writing.

On a brighter note, Julia emailed me recently to share her handbag obsession. As a self confessed handbagaholic, I can’t wait to check out her designs.

Happy Release Day, Julia!

~~~
Thank you so much, Keri Mikulski (Screwball)!!

18 comments:

Steph Su said...

Sometimes inspiration can come from the strangest--and most depressing--places. Great guest post, Keri. :)

Unknown said...

Hey, congrats on your release day!! Can't wait to go to the book store to get it!!! :D

Erika Powell said...

beautiful post Keri, and I really hope I get to read Pinked someday and this amazing character!

Katie said...

Congratulations Julia. I plan on picking up Willow either tonight or tomorrow. Great post Keri. Luckily I haven't had death visit my family at all but I don't think anybody is ever prepared for it. I really love how you wrote down everything about your aunt and I'm so glad you are still writing today. Hopefully I will get to read about your aunt in Pinked someday!

Megan said...

Beautiful post. Can't wait to read and get Willow. Congrats Julia on release.
bookworm8675309@yahoo.com

Nora said...

Beautiful post, I hope to read Pinked someday.

Keri Mikulski said...

Hi, Steph Su!! Thanks! So true. So many authors have written amazing books after some really dark times.

Hi, Robin! :)

Awe, thanks, Erika Lynn. Me too. :)

Thanks, Katie!! I hope so too. :)

Thanks, Megan!

Thanks, Nora! Me too. :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Hey Keri, you know I love the post and I really hope to read Pinked at some point as well. Thanks again for helping out. I do appreciate it. :)

Reyna Meinhardt said...

Your aunt sounds like she was a wonderful person! "Pinked" sounds like its going to be a really great book! I'm looking forward to reading it!

Keri Mikulski said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri Mikulski said...

Absolutely! It's been a blast. Love what you guys do for authors.. Amazing. :)

Hi, Polo.Pony! Thanks so much! She was. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your book release, Julia!

And thanks, Keri, for sharing this personal story with all of us. :)

Barrie said...

That is one tough five-letter word. Thanks for sharing, Keri.

Anonymous said...

good evening everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging as far as something that meticulous brand. The prices for the boots were approximately 220 pounds on every page. But for all I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging for that singular brand. The prices for the velcros are approximately 170 pounds on every page. But finally I bring about this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good day dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for that particular brand. The prices seeking the shoes are all over 330 pounds everwhere. But for all I set this area selling them for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm really into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that singular brand. The prices seeking the shoes were all over 340 pounds on every page. But completely I bring about this location selling them for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what can you say about it?