Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No April Fool's Joke: My Review

Willow by Julia Hoban
Review by: Lauren
http://www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com
Out: Tomorrow, pick it up!

Willow had a learner’s permit. Her parents drank too much wine. The storm was bad. After the accident, Willow is left an orphan, living with her brother David, his wife Cathy, and their daughter Isabelle. Unable to deal with the intense grief, Willow finds her outlet in a razor. This secret tool helps her handle the pain and keep from being overwhelmed by the fact that she believes her brother no longer loves her and her parents will always be gone.
However, a fellow student at her school, Guy, comes to learn her secret. He promises not to tell anyone else, but he can’t walk away and believe she’ll be fine. Instead, he stays and takes Willow’s pain on, trying to understand and working to heal this girl he is beginning to love.

Willow by Julia Hoban is an intense read, but it’s not suffocating. Willow has her ups and downs, her problems, her fears. She’s like every other person in the world, except her pain threatens to consume her whole if she doesn’t get help. This book is more then Willow’s past though. It’s about her future and what will come of her newfound friendship with Guy.

Two lives have been interconnected. Willow needs Guy, but Guy needs Willow as well. They help each other, they open up to each other, they begin to trust and complete each other. Willow deals with painful topics, and can be hard to read at times, but it’s also a very powerful story that is sure to resonate with most that pick it up.

I would definitely recommend.

10 comments:

Amelia said...

Great review.

Steph Su said...

Reeeeally want to read this. :)

Katie said...

Wow! Great review. I am glad that the book isn't all downers. It would just be too depressing. I am definitely looking forward to reading this!

Reyna Meinhardt said...

Thanks for the great review! I am so excited to read it! And it comes out in 2 days! Yay!

Erika Powell said...

great review, I am curious how Guy needs Willow. that hasn't really been addressed in any of the reviews I have read and i can't wait to get my copy from amazon!

Alea said...

I got chills! Tomorrow is the day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Alea: I know!! EEK!

Erika Lynn: I hope it gets there soon, and you'll have to let me know what you think about Guy needing Willow after you read it. :)

Polo.Pony: It's today!! Thanks for your kind words.

Katie: Oh, you should be, and definitely not all depressing. It deals with a lot.

Steph Su: I love to hear that. <3

Book Junkie: Thank you!

-Lauren

Unknown said...

Gosh, this books reminds me so much of someone I know. I want to read this so very much! :D
Great review!

Megan said...

I really want to read this.
bookworm8675309@yahoo.com

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Robin: Thanks! And yay, we like to hear that!

Megan: As it should be. ;)