Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cyn Balog: Not Alone



Cyn Balog Talks Willow
http://cynbalog.com/
Her book, Fairy Tale, due out in June!
Lyrics in photo from: Saosin "You're Not Alone"

I was excited to find out that Julia Hoban’s new book, Willow, is about mental illness, specifically a girl who cuts herself. I think a lot of people on the outside of this topic might look at it and go, “Why would anyone do that to themselves?” and personally, I get that. I get that from the outside, deliberately hurting yourself because you hurt so bad inside might seem counterproductive. But I also understand the other side, because I was there.

I know the feeling of release that comes with opening up a wound, the feeling of letting out all the pain you have inside. I know of the switch that turns on in your mind, making the feeling of holding a blade in your hand like a drug you’re addicted to. I know that sometimes the pain is so great that there seems like there is no other alternative. I know that nothing, nothing, makes you feel worse than when people see your scars and look at you like you’re an idiot.

On the brighter side, I also know there can be a recovery. There can be healing. I am a young adult author too, and though I have been able to put all that behind me, though the publishing world tells us to “write what we know”, I can’t bring myself to touch this topic. I still can not find a way to write coherently about it. It’s too hard. But it’s a most comforting feeling to know we’re not alone, and I think that this book is important because of that. So thank you, Julia, and best of luck with the release of Willow!

5 comments:

Reyna Meinhardt said...

What a great post on "Willow!" Personally, I can't imagine cutting myself, and I feel so sad for people that go through something that makes them feel better by doing it.

Erika Powell said...

beautiful post Cyn! I am glad you are better and having success as an author!

Amelia said...

I'm glad you wrote this Cyn, I had a friend who used to cut. I felt so bad when I found out because I had no idea how to help her.

Katie said...

I agree that a lot of people think that people who cut themselves are dumb but I can't say I agree. I don't think I would ever do this to myself but I don't know. I feel like I can't judge someone on something like that until I have been through what they have been through. Thank you for such an amazing post Cyn!

YA Book Realm said...

I love when people share their own person experiences about over coming a problem, especially one as tricky as this. Great post, Cyn!